MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
Saturday, October 28, 2017, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
University of Dayton, OH
MIND IF I JOIN YOU?
- 10 Top Lessons From 10 Years of Bestselling Author Interviews: This session distills a decade of collected wisdom into the all-time best insights into the creative process, the writing life, the craft of writing and the business of publishing. Get new perspectives on revolutionizing your writing routine, following the path of your story, revising with the right mindset, persevering through rejection, and more—from award-winners and bestsellers including Alice Walker, David Sedaris, David Baldacci, Patricia Cornwell, Khaled Hosseini, Brad Meltzer and Lisa Scottoline.
- Acting Out of Character: Once you’ve established who your characters are, you can thicken your plot by giving them reasons to act out of character. (Think of the meek heroine who suddenly lashes out, the reliable parent who runs off, or the villain who shows an unexpected kindness—all make you want to know why.) Learn how this underutilized technique can be used on a large scale (propelling an entire plot) or a small one (adding twists, turns and interest) to create page-turners sure to satisfy.
- How to Become a Regular Contributor to Any Publication: Becoming a regular contributor is the dream scenario in terms of steady paychecks, easier-to-come-by assignments, and more byline opportunities for freelance writers, and yet so many freelancers go about this the wrong way. This session teaches you how to make ANY assignment the first of many, build relationships with editors, recognize opportunities other writers miss, earn more money with less effort, and strengthen your freelance writing career without driving yourself query-crazy.
- “Jessica delivered exactly what we look for in faculty for our writers’ conference – a luncheon keynote and instructional sessions that both inspired and elicited interaction. She was engaging, insightful and stimulating. Her presentations generated a memorable experience for our attendees and quite a number of “aha” moments. She was a delight.” —Jama Kehoe Bigger, Director, Midwest Writers Workshop
- “Jessica delivered the kickoff ‘inspiration’ talk at the Saturday Seminar portion of our 32nd Annual Writers’ Workshop ... and an inspiration it was! Her carefully prepared, yet warmly delivered keynote offered plenty of reassurance, encouragement and guidance, coupled with practical how-tos and tips. After her presentation, Jessica also took questions from our audience of fifty-plus writers in a manner that was gracious, thoughtful and insightful. Jessica provided a winning combination: in-depth experience from years of working with the top authors of our day plus a humble presentation style that conveyed that we’re all on this writing journey together equaled exactly what our audience of beginning to more advance writers needed: inspiration and roll-up-your sleeves techniques that set a positive, energizing tone for our whole conference. Our post conference survey results showed that Jessica is one of the most popular speakers we’ve engaged. I would gladly recommend Jessica as a speaker for any writing conference, and look forward to having her back in the future at our conference.” —Sharon Short, Executive Director, Antioch Writers’ Workshop
Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop (Sponsor Representative)
University of Dayton, Ohio, March 31 – April 2, 2016
5th Annual Books-in-Progress Conference (Featured Speaker)
Carnegie Center, Lexington, Kentucky, June 3, 2016
March 28, 2017, 7 p.m.
April 6, 2017, 6 p.m.
April 8, 2017
May 5-6, 2017
May 10, 2017, 6 p.m.
May 16, 2017, 7 p.m.
Antioch Writers’ Workshop LitSalon (Featured Author)
May 21, 2017, 4-7 p.m.
Green Tree Public Library (Joint Event With Author Rebecca Drake)
June 29, 2017, 7 p.m. (discussion of my Almost Missed You, Rebecca’s Only Ever You and the domestic suspense trend, followed by Q&A and book signing)
Mystery Writers Bookshop’s Coffee & Crime Series (Featured Author)
July 1, 2017, 10:30 a.m.
Antioch Writers’ Workshop (Instructor)
July 8, 2017 (daytime workshop + evening faculty signing)
July 20-22, 2017
August 1, 2017, 7 p.m.
August 4, 2017, 7 p.m.
August 10, 2017, 5:30-7:15 p.m.
Info / Registration ($30 Fee)